01 July 2007

TOOTHACHE

I think it's a generational thing...bad teeth. My parents had bad teeth and my best friend was the dentist since I was a little kid because I always spent so much time in his office. Luckily for my kids they invented FLUORIDE and so far they have escaped sitting for hours in a dental chair for anything other than cleaning. Last Thursday I was trying to deny that I had a toothache, but when it kept me up that night I knew I had to make the call to my dentist, who by the way, doesn't work on Friday. He kindly calls the Endodontist for me and I get an appointment for mid-day. I can hardly wait for the moment to arrive to be put out of my misery. I will sit in the chair for 2 hours and yes, my mouth will be sore for the afternoon, but the pain will be gone once they give me the shot of novacaine and work their magic with the root canal. NO SUCH LUCK! New scenario this time. They said I have an infection in the root which must be cleared up first BEFORE they can do the root canal. ACK!!!! I did get the massive dose of novacaine I craved and he "opened up the tooth" whatever that means, because there's no big hole there.

He sent me home with the same sore tooth, numb at the moment; prescriptions for TWO antibiotics and ONE painkiller (not a good omen at all for the week ahead) and said see you in a week. Right now my left cheek is swollen like a chipmunk and while the tooth feels better, my ear hurts every time I swallow. I'll be glad when this is over and somehow I don't think the Endodontist has such good treasures in his treasure chest, just a big bill at the end of the road.

No comments: