22 July 2007

ASTORIA

It's Sunday morning and we are supposed to be waking up in Astoria, however we are at home. We got up bright and early Saturday morning. packed up the car and off we went just as planned. We drove down taking the inland scenic route as opposed to the I-5 faster route and arrived in Astoria around noon and decided to head down to Seaside and wander around there since we would have all day Sunday to see Astoria. So that is what we did. We went to Seaside and had lunch and went to the beach for a few minutes and went into a few stores. Then we went a little farther south to Cannon Beach and wandered around a little bit. I really liked it there, not quite as many tourists as Seaside and seemed to have more B & B's and cottages than hotels. We then thought it was time to head back up to Astoria.

I go inside to check-in and the clerk says, "You were supposed to be here last week-end." I told him I had changed the reservation to this week-end.
He says, "Oh, yes, I see you changed the reservation. The following day after you changed it, the corporate office changed it back. I have 1 room available with a King bed."
I asked him if 3 adults and a dog would fit into the King bed. Then I asked if I had been charged for not showing up last week-end and he avoided my question and said to call the manager on Monday. I think he knew I had been charged, but didn't want a ranting customer in his lobby with no manager on duty to bail him out. He was nice enough to call a couple of other places to look for a room for us that would take the dog. We could have driven back to Warrenton which actually isn't that far away, but we decided to save the $200 and drive home. We drove around Astoria for a little bit and could have gone to the maritime museum, but at that point, we were pissed and tired and didn't want to have anything more to do with Astoria for the moment so we left and drove home. It's about 60 miles along the river on the WA side to get to Longview and Kelso on I-5 and then once on the freeway it goes real fast and so we just drove home and slept in our own beds. When we got home, I checked online and sure enough I was charged for not showing up. I can hardly wait to make that phone call tomorrow morning to the manager of that hotel.

No comments: